7 Reasons I Love The Karma Conscious Cafe and Eatery
Nestled on the corner of 23 Street East and 2nd Avenue North in downtown Saskatoon, The Karma Cafe offers a space fit for anyone looking to have a nourishing bite to eat, a chat with a friend over coffee, or to cozy up in a corner with a tea and journal in hand. Here are my top 7 reasons I love the Karma Cafe!
1. The space: Tranquil is the word I would use to describe walking into the Karma Cafe. Upon walking in the doors, I am overwhelmed by the most amazing, comforting smells and beautiful, calming music playing quietly in the background. The space is bright and plants hang from the roof. Without even thinking, I feel myself take a deep breathe and allow my shoulders to roll down my back.
2. The staff: The customer service was amazing! I was met with a smile and when I asked what they would recommend, I was offered many suggestions depending on if I liked spicy food or not, how hungry I was, and if I had any dietary restrictions. My order was made timely, it looked amazing, and the taste was incredibly satisfying.
3. The food menu: Though this is labelled a vegetarian cafe, I would not let it deter any meat-eaters away from trying out the menu. The dishes still contain protein options like tofu that leave you feeling full and satisfied. There are also options for those who have vegan and/or gluten-free diets and plenty of options for all your cravings; sweet or savoury. While on my visit, I ate the Classic Tandoori Paneer in a bowl with brown rice. It was so delicious that I cleared the plate; the perfect combination of sweet and spicy. I finished it feeling full, happy, and nourished.
4. The drink menu: The chalk wall bodes a vast array of drink options; cold or warm, caffeinated or uncaffeinated, and flavours from sweet and fruity to dark and smooth. If you are a coffee junky like me, I highly recommend the Boomerang Coffee. It is SO smooth, with a touch of coconut, and just the right amount of sweetness.
5. YOU CAN ORDER IT ON SKIP THE DISHES! If you are a stay at home mom like me (or just a person who spends time at home and doesn’t want to leave the house to get nutritious food because it’s been so unbearably cold outside) then this is a big deal. You can order yourself a delicious coffee and satisfying, nourishing meal that will be delivered to your doorstep. Big. Win.
6. For anyone: The welcoming atmosphere, array of food and drink options, and seating area allows for all kinds of meet ups; a cozy spot for getting work done, catching up with friends, or grabbing a quick bite on the go. As I was enjoying my bowl and coffee, I observed people come in to grab items to go, a group of three students working together on a project, two friends visiting over coffee, and even a mom and her kiddo stopping in for a warm drink.
7. Supports local: This is the biggest reason, in my mind, that you should go and check out Karma Cafe. Not only are they a local cafe and eatery, they are community ambassadors and have made generous donations to places like the food bank, the sexual health centre, and most recently, Mothers Empowering Mothers. Our local organizations in Saskatoon would not thrive without the help of places like the Karma Cafe who so generously want to help others and see people in our community supported.
Next time you are trying to decide where to take a friend for coffee or where to stop for something healthy but quick to-go or maybe you just want to try something new, try out this special Saskatoon spot! You won’t be disappointed!